Friday, April 15, 2011

cycle of abuse

I have read that abuse goes through families, generation after generation,
and it is certainly true in my family. My mother was abused by a neighbor when she was 6 years old, and said that 2 of her brothers were inappropriate with her at some time. I think that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Having been vicitimized by my father, and not protected by my mother...... who eventually became more than an enabler for him, but planned and carried out a terrible cover up at my expense. And my son's expense. And my daughters, who lost years of family time with their brother because of the lies and trauma inflicted by my parents.

Some people actually teach their daughters about the proper way to date, how to pick out a decent boyfriend/husband.... but this was not taught to me, mainly because neither of my parents had a clue or a desire to teach me anything useful. Cooking and household chores were the only things I was taught by them. Those very talents were used to punish me for having a baby, when I had no voice in any of it.

When I was aware of what was going on, I wanted to keep him. Even when I was too traumatized and in denial, I still wanted to figure out a plan to get him away from them. I never figured out a way, and my life became too full of crisis situations to even think straight for decades.
I did my very best raising my girls, and battling for their safety from my first X........... years of hiding and worrying, followed by massive amounts of grief when my youngest was murdered.

Abuse is a cycle we must put an end to. We absolutely must put our foot down and refuse to allow it. Speak the truth loudly and clearly, and don't give in to any bullying tactics and manipulations of the perpetrators.
EVER.

I have certainly found inspiration and solace in scripture, and can relate to how Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus had to flee and hide from evil perpetrators.
God is faithful to provide their needs, and always provides for us when we trust in Jesus.

There is a time to run, and a time to hide, and a time to stand firm and a time to fight. You can more easily discern these times when you keep close to the Lord in prayer.

I'm not talking about looking for mysterious signs, but for opportunities, directions and wisdom. Surround yourself with women of faith and wisdom. Share concerns, ideas and support. Be a friend to those in need, keep your eyes open and your mind sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment